words, words, words










 
Archives
<< current

If you'd like to volunteer for the Russ Carnahan campaign for U.S. Congress Please give our offices a call at 534-2004 or email me at stephen@russcarnahan.org

biologic show
secret kings
waremouse
cucalambe
chrisafer
dogpoet
brent
salon
jeff
cho
rob



places to visit:
Center for Theology and Social Analysis
Lynda Barry
astralwerks
Sherman's Lagoon




Another place I write:
Queerday




relevant pasts:
fear of sunrise
manboylove
peaceful
soup
objection
who are you?
birthday
one year










 
If I begin to detail myself here, will you understand?



P. I am me
Q. I don't always know exactly who that is
R. I am Quaker
S. I like words and playing with them
T. I like genmaicha tea
U. I like the word napkin more than most others
V. I spend time walking my neighborhood
W. I cook rice often
X. I sleep well most every night
Y. I eat large amounts of fruit and vegetables
Z. I munch, sleep, write, create, cook, bike, watch, walk, listen, hope, learn, drink, live, breathe, touch, know, question, taste, copy, read, stare, carry, talk, dance, finger, try.





raisin@gmail.com



albums:

Magnetic Fields: 69 Love Songs
Erasure: I Say, I Say, I Say
Depeche Mode: Black Celebration
The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
Marvin Gaye: What's Going On?
David Bowie: Hunky Dory
George Michael: Listen without Prejudice
George Gershwin: Porgy and Bess
Yo La Tengo: And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out


songs:

Wild is the Wind: Nina Simone
Come Undone: Duran Duran
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini: Rachmaninov
My Funny Valentine: Chet Baker
Feeling Yourself Disintegrate: The Flaming Lips
This Must Be the Place: The Talking Heads
Hyperballad: Bjork







many napkins
 
Monday, September 23, 2002  
September 19, 2002 - 19:33

I know that being peaceful leaves you vulnerable. I know that refusing to resist allows people to attack you, as often as they want to. I realize there is no inherent security in peace. But is there security in the world anyway? we have had centuries of warfare and nobody has ever been secure. Do i pay for a little bit of security by killing as many people as i deem necessary? or do i accept the fact that life is not secure and maintain my conscience, loving all those around me. If we are to give our cloak to those who steal our coat, if we are to be willing to lay down our lives for others, how can we pretend that taking someone else's life is a valuable step for civilization? I will die someday. With an attitude of non-violence or non-resistance, it is likely that i may die earlier than absolutely necessary. Nobody gave me power over life and death, so how is it in my hands that i can claim to protect myself by killing someone else? I won't argue whether war is necessary. It hasn't worked yet to maintain any kind of security or peace. Jesus died at 33, which was early even then. He let himself to be vulnerable, did not resist. If I am following His example, how can i guard myself when it means the deaths of others? i would prefer our country to also have a policy of non-violence, but I have no power to change our current policy. I only have power over myself. And I cannot see myself doing anything but harm by killing or helping to kill other people. It sounds like madness in some ways; it is so different from what we've always done. but isn't war madness, too? isn't killing madness? just a madness we've grown to accept.



8:53 PM

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
  (0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment
Site Meter
 
This page is powered by Blogger.