words, words, words










 
Archives
<< current

If you'd like to volunteer for the Russ Carnahan campaign for U.S. Congress Please give our offices a call at 534-2004 or email me at stephen@russcarnahan.org

biologic show
secret kings
waremouse
cucalambe
chrisafer
dogpoet
brent
salon
jeff
cho
rob



places to visit:
Center for Theology and Social Analysis
Lynda Barry
astralwerks
Sherman's Lagoon




Another place I write:
Queerday




relevant pasts:
fear of sunrise
manboylove
peaceful
soup
objection
who are you?
birthday
one year










 
If I begin to detail myself here, will you understand?



P. I am me
Q. I don't always know exactly who that is
R. I am Quaker
S. I like words and playing with them
T. I like genmaicha tea
U. I like the word napkin more than most others
V. I spend time walking my neighborhood
W. I cook rice often
X. I sleep well most every night
Y. I eat large amounts of fruit and vegetables
Z. I munch, sleep, write, create, cook, bike, watch, walk, listen, hope, learn, drink, live, breathe, touch, know, question, taste, copy, read, stare, carry, talk, dance, finger, try.





raisin@gmail.com



albums:

Magnetic Fields: 69 Love Songs
Erasure: I Say, I Say, I Say
Depeche Mode: Black Celebration
The Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
Marvin Gaye: What's Going On?
David Bowie: Hunky Dory
George Michael: Listen without Prejudice
George Gershwin: Porgy and Bess
Yo La Tengo: And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out


songs:

Wild is the Wind: Nina Simone
Come Undone: Duran Duran
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini: Rachmaninov
My Funny Valentine: Chet Baker
Feeling Yourself Disintegrate: The Flaming Lips
This Must Be the Place: The Talking Heads
Hyperballad: Bjork







many napkins
 
Sunday, September 07, 2003  
If Christianity is true at all, if we are to follow any part of it, then it must exist on the premise of service, and not on the claim of righteousness. We don't remember Jesus for what he didn't do, i.e., have sex, get drunk, grab power, etc., but for what he did, which is largely healing the sick and teaching a better sense of who God is. His life was in service to us, every part of it, and he told us that the way to serve God is to serve those around us. The verses, you fed me when I was poor, you clothed me when I was naked, you visited me in prison; when you do these things for others, you are doing them for me, illustrate this direction. You cannot run for God or lose weight for God, or even build a church for God; to serve him you must serve people around you. While asking what Jesus might do in your situation might help decide small scenarios, our lives can be more easily determined by looking to serve Jesus in those around us. Each person is another way to serve him and must be treated with respect and love, not someone to judge or preach to. i learned this vaguely from my years in fundamentalist churches but rarely saw the truth in action. most so-called Christians I know spend their lives denying themselves or others the pleasure in living.
So while I am refocusing my life, I have to use this principle, that whether I earn money by it or volunteer my time, I must spend large portions of my life serving other people. Strangely enough, I thought that becoming an Air Force officer was doing just that. So this is nothing new; I have simply realized a better way to serve people, and perhaps I am less assuming and more honest about what other people need from me. Perhaps I can be more humble and more aware about who I am if I am not focusing my life on msyelf. The question is whether I can honestly put these thoughts into action, whether they are simply what I think i should do, or rather, a way of life.

11:09 PM

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
  (0) comments <$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
Post a Comment
Site Meter
 
This page is powered by Blogger.